[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 29 19:46:10 UTC 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really? How is it that you prevent students from adding their own linksys or nether NAT routers to connect a number of devices to that one port the university provides in each dorm?
>
> If you're actually providing whatever number of ports the students require in each room, I'm impressed and surprised. If not, then you're an LIR whether you realize it or not.
>
> Owen
>
> Very simple, mac limitations per port.  Limit the number of MAC addresses per port, they plug in more than one device, the port shuts for a period of time.  That feature is supported on most decent access layer devices these days and is enabled in many places.

BZZT!!! But thank you for playing. A linksys NAT router presents only one Mac address to your equipment. Behind that router, you can have up to (IIRC) 1024 devices, each of which could be another NAT router if you are desperate.

> Besides which, I don't believe you can be an "unintentional" LIR, an LIR means *registry*, you can't unintentionally register things

If you are providing network access to people not on your payroll, you are an intentional (albeit possibly unaware) LIR. I did not say unintentional, I said possibly unaware.