[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:37:56 UTC 2012

Andrew,
I am opposed to this policy as I don't seem to see a unique need that it serves.
I think we have sufficient policies to handles LIRs and Endusers and a
new policy on just defining End-users is superfluous.

Regards,
On 28 June 2012 15:32, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Please see a policy proposal below.  Please feel free to ask any questions
> and give us feedback so that we can modify this to the wishes of the
> community if the community agrees with the general gist of this proposal, as
> I would like to get this policy up for discussion at the next meeting for
> ratification, since the ramifications of this policy NOT existing at the
> moment are starting to be felt pretty severely (to the point where certain
> institutions are actually holding back applications because of the points
> this policy attempts to address, and at least one institution only agreed to
> be an LIR out of absolute desperation for the space they needed, even though
> we still maintain said institution should be an end user due to the
> centralization of their IT department and the fact that their faculties do
> not run as autonomous departments)
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew
>
> Draft Policy Name:  End user classification of African Universities

> (a) Andrew Alston | aa at ubuntunet.net | Private
>
> (b) Louis Marais | lmarais at ufs.ac.za | University of the Free State
>
> (c) Joe Kimaili | jkimaili at ubuntunet.net | UbuntuNet Alliance
>

> Draft Policy Version 1
>

> Submission Date: 28 June 2012
>

> [1] Policy Summary
>

> This policy proposes that Universities on the African continent be declared
> as End Users by default, where the default shall apply unless specific
> conditions are met which would change the classification to LIR.
>

> This policy attempts to address the problem that Universities at current are
> treated as LIRs because of their having multiple faculties, irrespective of
> the fact that IT is centrally managed at these institutions.  This in effect
> disadvantages the Universities who are already under severe financial
> pressure by forcing them to pay LIR fees for IP space used only within their
> own institution.
>

> At current the only way for a University to avoid being classified as an LIR
> is to apply for a tiny block of address space for central IT, which is then
> forced to NAT the entire institution through that block.  This amounts to
> AfriNIC putting institutions in a position where they are forced to utilize
> NAT, which is to their disadvantage, if they do not wish to pay LIR fees.
>

> [2] Addressing the current problem
>

> The policy attempts to recognize the fact that in the African context, many
> Universities do not run faculties that are autonomous in their existence,
> and in fact such faculties are simply departments within the same
> institution with centrally managed resources, similar to the way a corporate
> entity such as a bank operates.
>

> It removes the default classification by LIR that is applied to Universities
> who wish to number the buildings and faculties on their campuses through a
> centrally managed IT department, and recognizes that such Universities are
> [...]

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.