[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Thu Jun 28 14:47:17 UTC 2012

On 28 June 2012 15:33, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:

> The university that we're currently dealing with for this situation (and
> others that are coming with similar requests), do not service external
> entities, and if they do, they have legacy space they can utilize to do this
> around which there are no rules.  The new space is entirely for campus use
> and for the various buildings and faculties on campus which are part of the
> university, yet still we are told that it has to be an LIR.

So under which part of the existing policy is this decision being made?

If an LIR were to request the address space from Afrinc for a
University would space be granted for their use?

Or is it that the University is applying directly to Afrinc for the
space and being rejected?

Creating special exemption for types of user is a bad idea unless the
difference is based on their usage type (e.g. an IXP have very
different requirements from an ISP, but an ISP and Hosting provider
are very similar) and it would be better to fix the current the
process rather than creating a new one (maybe by altering the existing
wording on the definitions of End User and LIR)

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA
Limelight Networks