[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Thu Jun 28 14:23:15 UTC 2012

On 28 June 2012 13:32, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please see a policy proposal below.  Please feel free to ask any questions
> and give us feedback so that we can modify this to the wishes of the
> community if the community agrees with the general gist of this proposal, as

<snip>

er sorry I'm trying to understand why this needs to be a policy...
Unless Universities in Africa are structured very differently from
those in Europe they should be end users as they manage their networks
centrally, they could of course decide to become LIRs if they have a
need to provide IP address to 3rd parties (like on campus business
parks) but the general case would appear to be treating them as end
users.

There is even a case for the appropriate NREN(s) to become LIRs and
then provide resources to their constituent universites but that could
be seen as a restrictive move.

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA