[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri May 18 17:58:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012, SM wrote:
> If a member of NomCom is aware of candidates lobbying for votes,
> it is up to the member to see whether to inform the community
> about that.  As there hasn't been any report about lobbying for
> votes up to now, either it did not happen or nobody find that
> objectionable.

I think that lobbying for votes is OK, but that some lobbying
methods are not acceptable.

I think that using email addresses or other information harvested
from WHOIS or internal AfriNIC databases is wrong.  Each database
(including WHOIS) has implicit or explicit acceptable use policies
associated with the information, and using the information for
vote solicitation would be outside that acceptable use policy.

I think that sending email to a "peering" contact address, for any
purpose other then discussing peering arrangements, is wrong for
much the same reason.

I have heard allegations that vote solicitation messages were sent
to AfriNIC contact addresses and to peering contact addresses, but
I have not seen publicly available evidence.  If such allegations
are true, especially in the case of WHOIS or AfriNIC internal
databases, then it's a violation of the terms under which the data
was made available.  It's unfortunate that the accused persons
were not given an opportunity to address the allegations during
the meeting.

--apb (Alan Barrett)