[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:32:21 UTC 2012

> According to your comment about lobbying for votes I would say that you consider it as not being in the best interests of the community.  There are different ways to influence the results of an election (see questions from Nacer Adamou Saidou).  There is nothing in the current draft ( http://www.afrinic.net/corporate/PDWG_Election_Process.pdf ) that prevents that.  E-voting, for example, allows a person to make sure that the other person voted for him/her.  There may be others ways to use an e-voting system inappropriately.

I am not saying that lobbying is outside of the interests of the community, I fully support the right of any candidate to lobby the people he knows and his friends for support and votes.  I am saying that using email addresses of role addresses and other information that seems to have been farmed out of whois databases and other contact information that was stored for specific use is not acting in the community interest.  I am saying that deliberately seeking a loophole in rule 2.2 which prohibits candidates holding masses of proxies is deliberately looking to circumvent the will of the community as expressed in that rule, albeit in a legal manner.

Bottom line, acting to the letter of the law does not mean that you are acting in the interests of the community or acting ethically.

Thanks

Andrew