[AfriNIC-rpd] Regional Internet Registry Privacy

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Tue May 8 08:17:30 UTC 2012

SM

On 7 May 2012 19:13,  <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:
> The term "right to be let alone" was used in a well-known law journal in
> 1890.  That term was referenced in a judgement in a different country over a
> hundred years later.

If there is precedent, I guess it's ok

> As a quick comment, that sounds more like a definition of information
> privacy.  In an African country, the following was used: "the right of a
> person to keep his or her matters and relationships secret".

Yes to an extent. I think the AfriNIC only collects information from
the LIRs etc and hence my leaning towards privacy of information.
Also, my text proposal is my thoughts and can be modified, but I guess
in light of my response to the first question, this is unlikely.

> The text mentions "person" and it covers everyone included in the service
> region.  It is more practical to use an existing definition instead of
> having to define "information owner".  It makes matters easier for future
> discussion about such a policy.

Here is the policy text

" Information about whether any data is adequate, relevant and
not excessive in relation to the purposes for which it is collected and/or
transferred shall be made available to any person who is part of the Policy
Development Working Group for the AfriNIC service region"

My interpretation here is that "person" is only being used to refer to
individual members of the RPD rather then individuals. My problem with
this is that you assume all the concerned parties are/will be on the
RPD, an assumption I think is moot. I stand to be corrected, but I
think there may even be more "non-LIR" members on the RPD than their
LIRs

> How did you arrive at 3 and 12 months? Did you factor in the
>> legal/regulatory obligations of AfriNIC (Ltd) in the country of
>> registration?
> I'll ask AfriNIC (Ltd) about the legal/regulatory obligations.

Ok, good

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.