[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Fri May 4 09:54:14 UTC 2012

On 3 May 2012 at 23:56, SM wrote:

> If I am part of the Board of Directors, for example, can I be elected
> as Chair of the PDWG?

The clarification from Ashok seems to say that you are not barred from contesting for the
position if you satisfy eligibilty for the election but that you cannot hold both, once
you are elected. So you will be required to resign from one of them.

This is not unique to AfriNIC. In Malawi for example, the constitution allows you to
contest for both the posts of President or VP and that of Member of Parliament (MP) and
you can win both in an election but it is required that if you become President or VP
then you have to give up your MP position (or vice versa!). This has now happened more
than once already.

Those that seek and go through the election process need to satisfy eligibility
requirements which I see are very clear in AfriNIC. Once eligibility is satisfied, it
would be unfair to bar a candidate seeking to move up or down based on any other
criteria.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda