[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri May 4 06:56:08 UTC 2012

Hi Ashok,
At 11:45 03-05-2012, ashok wrote:
>Based on the following-
>1- the PDWG and the Board of Directors have very distinct mandates
>2-the Board is called upon to approve and ratify policy proposal
>good governance warrant that a Director may not be the chair of the PDWG.

Mark Elkins reminded me about what happened In Tanzania.  It was a
healthy discussion of the election process.

According to the existing election process: "Ineligible nominations
will be rejected and the nominators and nominees notified
separately".  I gather that it is the responsibility of the NomCom to
ensure that the slate of candidates is valid.  The Chair of the
NomCom announces the names of the persons elected once the election
results are available.  In general, one might not want to hold an
election where a candidate is ineligible to serve if he or she is
elected as it opens the way to questionable practices where the
election process is bypassed.

If I am part of the Board of Directors, for example, can I be elected
as Chair of the PDWG?

Regards,
-sm