[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri May 4 17:02:26 UTC 2012

Hi Paulos,
At 02:54 04-05-2012, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:
>The clarification from Ashok seems to say that you are not barred
>from contesting for the
>position if you satisfy eligibilty for the election but that you
>cannot hold both, once
>you are elected. So you will be required to resign from one of them.

[snip]

>Those that seek and go through the election process need to satisfy
>eligibility
>requirements which I see are very clear in AfriNIC. Once eligibility
>is satisfied, it
>would be unfair to bar a candidate seeking to move up or down based
>on any other
>criteria.

Douglas Onyango commented about the election procedures.  The
eligibility requirements for an AfriNIC Board of Director or for a
PDWG Chair do not bar a candidate from taking both positions.  The
rules published by the Nominations and Elections Committee do not bar
the candidate either.  This is an unusual case.

The clarification from Ashok only says that: "good governance warrant
that a Director may not be the chair of the PDWG".  That is why I
asked for a clarification by asking the following question:

   "If I am part of the Board of Directors, for example, can I be elected
    as Chair of the PDWG?"

I would be grateful if Ashok could clarify that.

Regards,
-sm