[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 and Anycast

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:06:10 UTC 2012

<all hats off>

Hi APB,

On 3/27/12, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

>>> What exactly is the problem here?  Can you give real or
>>> theoretical examples of technically sound Anycast designs that
>>> do not meet the existing criteria?

If you are doing Anycast and (only anycast or mostly anycast) for
non-critical infra, then you can't meet the 24%/50% requirements for
usage.  Furthermore, you can't get additional space because you won't
have used the majority of your previous allocation /assignment.

I think we do have an issue here, that being that our policies don't
allow folks to pursue a certain biz model/networking technology
without lying to our hostmasters.  We should fix this, or at least
have a formal policy proposal to do so, and talk about it using the
PDP.

I've drafted a proposal and am sending it to Mauritz just now to see
if he wants to be co-author.  The draft is more complicated than his
plan, so if he wants to delete my text and just add his, I'd be happy
with that too.

--
Cheers,

McTim