[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for policy proposals and/or issues on AfriNIC PDP for AfriNIC-16

Badru Ntege ntegeb at one2net.co.ug
Wed Feb 22 08:22:42 UTC 2012

Mark

> I'll certainly support you in a gentle re-write of the PDP process so that Global
> Policy which we have locally accepted - on not reaching world-wide adoption,
> can be locally discarded as well. Perhaps to approve the discarding of such a
> policy - it should be announced what is happening at the PDP session at one
> of our bi-annual face to face meeting.

Obviously care might need to be taken prior to discarding a policy just in case services have been provided based on it.  And what the implications might be on operations.

> "The Global Policy X-123 on Widgets, which this region accepted at meeting
> dated sometime, has been globally unaccepted/discarded thus needs to be
> withdrawn locally...." - no vote - just announced.

I'm assuming that from a policy point of view this would first be an amendment in the PDP

> In reality - most policies for global adoption that get to AfriNIC:-
>     1 - often never originated with us
>     2 - are pointless unless globally accepted

True but the operative word being most.  However we must assume that one might be an exception so a need to plug the potential hole in anticipation.

> If it can fly just locally and the author is present - maybe they can instead
> send though a re-write - to keep the policy floating.
Agree