[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for policy proposals and/or issues on AfriNIC PDP for AfriNIC-16

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Feb 22 07:08:58 UTC 2012

Douglas,

I'll certainly support you in a gentle re-write of the PDP process so
that Global Policy which we have locally accepted - on not reaching
world-wide adoption, can be locally discarded as well. Perhaps to
approve the discarding of such a policy - it should be announced what is
happening at the PDP session at one of our bi-annual face to face
meeting.
"The Global Policy X-123 on Widgets, which this region accepted at
meeting dated sometime, has been globally unaccepted/discarded thus
needs to be withdrawn locally...." - no vote - just announced.

In reality - most policies for global adoption that get to AfriNIC:-
    1 - often never originated with us
    2 - are pointless unless globally accepted.

If it can fly just locally and the author is present - maybe they can
instead send though a re-write - to keep the policy floating.

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 09:03 +0300, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> Badru,
>
> On 21 February 2012 21:49, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:
> > Could it be that if it is not accepted in all regions it ceases to be a
> > global policy and reverts to a regional policy.
>
> >From the ASO MoU, a global policy is defined as
> "..Internet number resource policies that have the agreement of all
> RIRs according to their policy development processes and ICANN, and
> require specific actions or outcomes on the part of IANA or any other
> external ICANN-related body in order to be implemented."
>
> Based on this, it is unlikely that a policy that ceases to be global
> can make sense or even be enforced at a regional level. This is the
> reason I feel, it should lose the status of "approved".
>
> > Or do we need a policy to handle this situation ??
> My feeling is that we do need a policy to handle this, albeit, a
> modification to the current PDP should be sufficient
>
> > maybe the policy should return to the PDP for review
> I don't mind this......but our current PDP doesn't seem to have
> provisions for returning a policy for review after it passes the
> approval stage.........Possibly another adjustment we might want to
> make ?? :-)

  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE
/ |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496