[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-04 Softlanding Policy Proposal

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 16:22:46 UTC 2011

Hi Marty,

On 6/6/11, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:

> This clause seems to be somewhat short sighted and focused in the near term
> vs. the long term. Restricting where the addresses are used would seem to
> increase cost and limit the opportunity for new jobs "in" Africa, IMHO. I
> would support a modification to this that stated something relative to
> African company, but limiting their ability to develop and execute a cost
> effective and savvy business plan seems not in the interest of the
> continent, at least from my perspective.

I wonder if anyone can give the likelihood of this happening.  While I
grant that it is possible, I don't see it as highly likely.

Given that Alain has told us that someone is applying for an entire
/8, it seems we won't have addresses for the longer term.

Do you have any suggestions on how we can implement the wishes of the
community (to keep AfriNIC resources for the development of the
Internet in Africa )?

--
Cheers,

McTim