[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-04 Softlanding Policy Proposal

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Jun 6 17:28:13 UTC 2011

On 6/6/11 12:22 PM, "McTim" <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marty,
>

> On 6/6/11, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:
>>
>> This clause seems to be somewhat short sighted and focused in the near term
>> vs. the long term. Restricting where the addresses are used would seem to
>> increase cost and limit the opportunity for new jobs "in" Africa, IMHO. I
>> would support a modification to this that stated something relative to
>> African company, but limiting their ability to develop and execute a cost
>> effective and savvy business plan seems not in the interest of the
>> continent, at least from my perspective.
>

> I wonder if anyone can give the likelihood of this happening.  While I
> grant that it is possible, I don't see it as highly likely.
>
> Given that Alain has told us that someone is applying for an entire
> /8, it seems we won't have addresses for the longer term.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how we can implement the wishes of the
> community (to keep AfriNIC resources for the development of the
> Internet in Africa )?

I think that referring to companies based in Africa is workable. It's quite
difficult for a legitimate company to setup an entity anywhere including a
huge amount of time and lots of effort and expense. They key may be in
interpreting what constitutes an African company. Physical office presence
in the Afrinic region? A colo contract in place? A network contract in
place? The equivalent of an incorporation certificate? That would be where I
might go with it.

Best,

-M<