[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-04 Softlanding Policy Proposal

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Jun 6 14:38:42 UTC 2011

On 5/30/11 12:18 PM, "Alan Barrett" <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011, Andrew Alston wrote:
>> I once again object to this policy on the grounds of clause 3.8
>> second paragraph as below.
>>
>> AfriNIC resources are for the AfriNIC geographical region. For
>> each allocation or assignment made during the Exhaustion Phase,
>> no more than 10% of these resources may be used outside of the
>> AfriNIC region, and any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be
>> solely in support of connectivity back to the AfriNIC region.
>
> Without any hats:
>
> I am in favour of that clause.
>
> The "10%" and "in support of connectivity back to the AfriNIC
> region" is intended to allow an African company to have a few
> routers and related infrastructure at international exchange
> points.
>
> If an African ISP wants have customers outside the AfriNIC region,
> there's nothing wrong with that, but they should use address space
> that does not come from AfriNIC.  (Alternatively, because older
> AfriNIC policy "forgot" to require the addresses to be used in
> Africa, they can use older AfriNIC addresses that are not subject
> to this proposed policy.)

This clause seems to be somewhat short sighted and focused in the near term
vs. the long term. Restricting where the addresses are used would seem to
increase cost and limit the opportunity for new jobs "in" Africa, IMHO. I
would support a modification to this that stated something relative to
African company, but limiting their ability to develop and execute a cost
effective and savvy business plan seems not in the interest of the
continent, at least from my perspective.

I remain in support of Andrews contention and respect the informed opinions
of my African colleagues otherwise.

Best,

-M<