[AfriNIC-rpd] Staff Analysis & Implementation Comments: Reclamation of Allocated but Un-routed IPv4 Addresses

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat May 28 10:46:13 UTC 2011

Although I think I understand the motive behind this proposal, that is,
to remove IP addresses from those who are not using them so they can be
used by those that need them, I can only agree with everyone else who is
objecting to this proposal on the grounds that a route to a prefix that
is not in the Routing tables does not automatically imply that that
route (prefix/block of IP Addresses) is not in fact in legitimate use.

ie - this part of the proposal is a really bad idea.

The timings given may also not be enough. Deployment of new circuits can
often be delayed by more than 30 days - even 90 days.

Keeping track of whether address space has yet been commissioned or is
still in use by the entity that acquired it is not necessarily a bad
idea, and using various views of the routing table is one way in which
to see if the address space is "in use" (though it might not be in use
by the original entity!) is one way of ticking one of several possible
boxes. Tracking payments is another. RPKI might one day be another.
Might be a huge job though.

Being sensitive and responsive (ie reactive) to people querying about
the use or non-use of address space might be a good thing to do?

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE