[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 24 17:28:37 UTC 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:

> On 23 May 2011 at 8:01, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> I think this discussion is getting too focused on particular language. There is nothing
>> wrong with it being a "vote". However, one must recognize that it is not an election
>> or a binding vote where the outcome of the vote dictates the outcome of the process.
>>
>> Instead, it is what is known as an "advisory vote". The outcome of the vote serves as
>> advice to the chairs to help them gauge consensus.
>>
>> So, whether you consider it an advisory vote or a show of consensus, I really think
>> that the terms are synonymous. The important thing is to have clarity on the actual
>> meaning of the event rather than to focus on the exact terminology used to
>> describe it.
>
> Without using so many words, determining consensus in the PDP policy is indeed different
> from the process of voting and the two processes do not necessarily yield the same
> outcome.

Without using so many words, my point remains:

How do you go about measuring consensus in the absence of some form of polling or
voting?

Clarifying with slightly more words:

I agree that a simple majority election yields a very different result from a community
consensus process. My point is that the question of voting here isn't about whether
or not to hold an election. I believe nobody expects that this voting is an election,
but, rather expects that the vote is advisory in nature to help the chair measure
the level of consensus.

> The AfriNIC PDP is about consensus building and determination.

I think this is understood, but, the question of how to determine and/or measure
consensus without such a mechanism (since you seem opposed to the
mechanism) remains unanswered.