[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Mon May 23 18:36:50 UTC 2011

At 07:01 23-05-2011, Mark Elkins wrote:
>Looking again at
>http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-GEN-005.htm
>What exactly does "participation" mean and how far does it extend. Are

The message count for this mailing list is as follows:

Year    Messages

2005     56
2006     79
2007    417
2008    103
2009    169
2010    370
2011    470 (currently)

Anyone can provide comments.  The policy development principles are
described in Section 3.  A principle can be a "proposition that
serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a
chain of reasoning".

>these Rules or Guiding Principals? What discretionary powers do the
>Working Group Chair(s) have?

I cannot tell AfriNIC what to do.  I cannot tell the AfriNIC Board of
Directors what to do.  I cannot determine what is "good for
Africa".  I cannot stop a proposal from being adopted as a policy
even if it is considered as not "in the interest" of Africa or if it
has a negative impact on AfriNIC members.

I leave it to the next Working Group Chair(s) to determine what
discretionary powers he or she has.

At 07:53 23-05-2011, Owen DeLong wrote:
>How does one gauge consensus in the absence of some form of voting or without
>asking the question of who supports and/or opposes a policy?

Let's say that I am working for you and there is a vote on your
proposal.  My personal opinion is that it is a bad proposal.  If I
raise my hand to vote against it, I may lose my job.  The alternative
is to use a ballot box.  Now you have to count the vote and have a
rule determining how the vote is won.  There is less than five hours
and more than five proposals on the draft agenda.  You would need
more time if decision was taken by voting.

Consensus is about making everyone equally unhappy. :-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy