[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.9.2 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 (was: Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02)

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed May 4 16:29:59 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,

I changed the subject so that it is easier to track which section is
being discussed.

At 13:28 03-05-2011, Andrew Alston wrote:
>I would like to see the following changes:

Thanks for suggesting the changes.

>In section 3.9.2 it is slightly more complex, but I would suggest
>wording as follows:
>
>When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
>(from the Final /8 or from any other available address space), the Board
>
>may at its discretion and considering the demand and other factors at
>the time replenish the exhaustion pool with whatever address space (or
>part thereof) that may be available to AfriNIC by assignment from IANA,
>or from space willingly returned by members, at the time, in a manner
>that is in the best interest of the community.
>
>The modifications here might look pretty simple, but they are a very
>basic attempt to avoid the situation where there are potential attempts
>to make grabs at legacy space, since the space would have to be
>WILLINGLY returned.  The potential IANA allocations could be made
>possible under the proposals currently under discussion regarding
>distribution of space returned to the global pool.
>
>It's not perfect wording though, and I'd be curious to hear if anyone
>has an improvement on this wording.

I see that your concern is IPv4 legacy space.  This is a delicate
subject and it should be part of another proposal instead of
AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02.

If there are any objections to this, please post them to the RPD mailing list.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
Interim co-chair, AfriNIC Policy Development Working Group