[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 (was: Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online)

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Tue May 3 20:28:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

For Clarity,

I would like to see the following changes:

In section 3.5.1, in the paragraph:

Exhaustion Phase 2
During this phase a minimum allocation/assignment size will be /27, and
the maximum will be /22 per allocation/assignment.

I believe that the /27 should be modified to be /24, this is in order to
avoid pollution of the routing table and avoid the complexities
surrounding sub /24 assignments that will not be globally routable
because of global filtering.

I would like to see paragraph 2 of section 3.8 removed entirely due to
it being unenforceable, impractical and in my opinion because I believe
that it could end up constraining development of African companies
wishing to expand into the global market.

In section 3.9.2 it is slightly more complex, but I would suggest
wording as follows:

When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
(from the Final /8 or from any other available address space), the Board

may at its discretion and considering the demand and other factors at
the time replenish the exhaustion pool with whatever address space (or
part thereof) that may be available to AfriNIC by assignment from IANA,
or from space willingly returned by members, at the time, in a manner
that is in the best interest of the community.

The modifications here might look pretty simple, but they are a very
basic attempt to avoid the situation where there are potential attempts
to make grabs at legacy space, since the space would have to be
WILLINGLY returned.  The potential IANA allocations could be made
possible under the proposals currently under discussion regarding
distribution of space returned to the global pool.

It's not perfect wording though, and I'd be curious to hear if anyone
has an improvement on this wording.

Thanks

Andrew