[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.5.2 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 (Re: Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02)

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed May 4 17:20:55 UTC 2011

Hello,
At 13:28 03-05-2011, Andrew Alston wrote:
>In section 3.5.1, in the paragraph:
>
>Exhaustion Phase 2
>During this phase a minimum allocation/assignment size will be /27, and
>the maximum will be /22 per allocation/assignment.
>
>I believe that the /27 should be modified to be /24, this is in order to
>avoid pollution of the routing table and avoid the complexities
>surrounding sub /24 assignments that will not be globally routable
>because of global filtering.

James Blessing mentioned that "Whilst it may seem like a good idea to
reduce the allocation size, many ISPs filter at the /24 level (for
various reasons) and this will cause severe reach-ability
issues".  McTim mentioned that "if ppl ONLY want a /27, we CAN give
them that size prefix of it is not intended to be routed".  Leo
Vegoda pointed out that "in the past I have seen cases where people
wanted unique addresses for numbering private networks, VPNs and so on".

Graham Beneke said the following:

   "There were a number of queries about this in Johannesburg. We reached
    consensus by surrender rather than true consensus."

That's called "consensus by exhaustion".

Andrew Alston stated that "it is globally accepted that a /24 is
minimum announcable size in the DFZ".  I gather that there is
consensus on that statement.

My recommendation is to change the minimum allocation/assignment size
in Section 3.5.2 from /27 to /24.  If you have strong concerns about
this, you can always write a new proposal to update that section.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
Interim co-chair, AfriNIC Policy Development Working Group