[AfriNIC-rpd] The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 15 21:15:45 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 15, 2011, at 2:18 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I've seen the same talk. I believe that talk to be FUD.
>
> One person's FUD is another's statement of the obvious.

Lol

>> People will steal anyway. I do not favor legitimizing theft so that
>> people will not conceal it through subterfuge.
>
> The downside of not recognizing transfers is that it reduces the value of the registration database.  Reduce the value far enough and the folks who need that database will find an alternative.
>
> More generally, in a post-IPv4 free pool world, it might be worth deciding what role the registries should have (at least regarding IPv4 address space) and look at policies in that light.

I believe that is exactly what I have been doing. I see no reason that transfers to entities that would not have qualified before runout would, in any way, be better than transfers only to recipients that meet policy criteria for receiving add dresses if the RIR had addresses to give.

I see many ways in which doing so can be harmful.