[AfriNIC-rpd] The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 15 20:18:01 UTC 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I've seen the same talk. I believe that talk to be FUD.

One person's FUD is another's statement of the obvious.

> People will steal anyway. I do not favor legitimizing theft so that
> people will not conceal it through subterfuge.

The downside of not recognizing transfers is that it reduces the value of the registration database.  Reduce the value far enough and the folks who need that database will find an alternative.

More generally, in a post-IPv4 free pool world, it might be worth deciding what role the registries should have (at least regarding IPv4 address space) and look at policies in that light.

Regards,
-drc