[AfriNIC-rpd] The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Feb 15 23:43:07 UTC 2011

Owen,

On Feb 15, 2011, at 1:15 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> More generally, in a post-IPv4 free pool world, it might be worth deciding what role the registries should have (at least regarding IPv4 address space) and look at policies in that light.
> I believe that is exactly what I have been doing.

You're making the implicit assumption that the policy regime that applied when the RIR's primary consideration was the allocation of a limited resource (and hence the drive to conserve that resource) still applies in a world where there is no address space left to allocate.

> I see no reason that transfers to entities that would not have qualified before runout would, in any way, be better than transfers only to recipients that meet policy criteria for receiving add dresses if the RIR had addresses to give.

An alternative view would be that due to changing circumstances, the primary consideration of the registry should shift to focusing on the accuracy, validity, and comprehensiveness of the registration database since it is likely that there will be increased pressure for folks to abuse that database.

Regards,
-drc