[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Out of region sales of IPv4 space

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Feb 10 20:32:58 UTC 2011

Brave Andrew.

(I've already read responses to this up to about 22:00 CAT - same day).

This would not be conflicting with the AfriNIC soft landing policy and
10% rule - as it could only happen before AfriNIC's last /8 was opened
for use. (ie before our Soft Landing policy kicks in)

It should only happen when perhaps RIPE, ARIN and APNIC were into their
last /8's and applying their own "Soft Landing" policies.

It would get AfriNIC faster into the Soft Landing Position - but by
design - only when most others are already there. I don't see this as
bad. We'll still have a lot slower burn rate with our soft landing
proposal than the others.

Could make some interesting financial contributions to AfriNIC! - would
have to be both an inflated first year + membership plus normal yearly
re-occurring charges (no "Once off" for life deals!)
(Looking with business eyes - this would financially be a "Good Thing"
for AfriNIC as a company - ie - to bolster its financial position - as
long as there is no harm to the region). Build in some restrictions -
nothing bigger than a /18?  Call it a life-belt. The revenue could help
our region with more IPv6 education?

Seriously, what would be more useful to African ISP's - a few more IPv4
addresses or a few more IPv6 workshops (I can justify almost
anything! :)

Would have to be unopposed by other RIR's? and perhaps others such as
the NRO and ICANN (They may not like it - but might grudgingly agree).

I personally do have that feeling that we may be sitting around with
unused IPv4 whilst the rest of the world has long finished dealing
theirs out - this would most certainly remove that feeling. And handing
a /8 (or less?) back to IANA would cause in-fighting about who then gets
some of it.

As I've said elsewhere - I've already been indirectly approached for
IPv4 address space. I guess others will too - they may not say "No".
Thinking about similarities to abortion laws - this could be a way of
non-Africans getting space in a less bad way (ie - with a few less
casualties)

Anyway - I believe this is all academic....