[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal: Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion now online

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Nov 26 08:44:35 UTC 2010

My e-mail was posted during the heat of the discussions. My bad timing.

I'm still unhappy that the Policy that appeared to reach consensus was
effectively ham-strung by the policy process itself.
(The three hands raised in opposition were with regards to the Process
rather than the Policy under discussion - despite the PDP Chair asking
otherwise.)
 I believe there may be room for the PDP Co-Chairs to use some
discretionary powers to prevent this type of thing (PDP Policy
"enhancement"?)

For example - in this case:
a) There had been a similar proposal that had been passed but is now
defunct.
b) The proposal had been discussed - then the author made changes but
without significant substantive changes...

I thus feel that the PDP chairs should have had the flexibility and
authority to allow this proposal to pass through the chain of policy
development processes... that is - have the current proposal on the
Website - perhaps with a "diff" of changes.

I'm also glad that the PDP includes an Emergency Process in case we get
really stuck - just don't like the idea that we may have created a
potential emergency situation. Time will tell.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE