[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: PDP transition to AFPUB-2010-GEN-005

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue Nov 23 10:37:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, McTim wrote:
> Hi Alan, can you read the policy again and find the date for me?  I
> read it closely and could not find a date on which co-chairs must be
> elected. My reading of the policy is that it comes into effect upon
> ratification. To my mind, this does not mean that an election MUST be
> held at the meeting where the policy comes into effect. Subtle point,
> I know. Regards, McTim

The policy is accessible from
<http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-GEN-005.htm>.

Last paragraph of section 2:  "This policy will take effect at the first
AfriNIC Public Policy Meeting following the ratification by the AfriNIC
Board of Directors."

Second paragraph of section 4:  "[...] The Working Group Chairs will be
chosen by the AfriNIC community during the Public Policy Meeting [...]"

Third paragraph of section 4:  "As a special case for the two Working
Group Chairs appointed when this policy first takes effect, one of the
Chairs will be appointed for a two-year term, and the other Chair will
be appointed for a one-year term."

Reading those together, it seems clear enough to me that the
co-chairs should be chosen by the community during the first public
policy meeting after ratification by the Board.

--apb (Alan Barrett)