[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Board Ratifies AFPUB-2010-GEN-005 and AFPUB-2009-v4-002 Policy Proposals

Vincent Ngundi vincent at ngundi.me.ke
Fri Nov 12 08:34:11 UTC 2010

Hi SM,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> At 14:15 11-11-10, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
>
>> I'm not 100% familiar with the AfriNIC policy process, but my
>> understanding
>> is that the authors of the global proposal have withdrawn this proposal at
>> the global level. What action would the AfriNIC PDP require based on this
>> information if it is intended to be a complete withdrawal?
>>

> If I understood the process correctly, all five RIRs have to ratify a
> global proposal for it to be adopted at the global level.  AFPUB-2009-v4-002
> has been ratified by the AfriNIC board and it is now a policy even though it
> has implemented yet.

Please note that it's not yet a policy. It remains a policy proposal until
it's been ratified by the ICANN Board in line with the ICANN ASO MOU.

> As the authors have withdrawn their proposal at the global level, the
> policy won't be implemented at that level.  The AfriNIC PDP does not cover
> the withdrawal of a proposal or a policy.
>
> There are two alternatives:
>
>  (i)   AfriNIC can ignore the policy as it cannot be implemented.
>
>  (ii)  Someone can submit a proposal to annul the policy.

At this point, the mandate of AfriNIC is to inform the ASO AC, through the
NRO Executive Council where AfriNIC is represented, that the global policy
proposal has been approved in the AfriNIC region. It's the mandate of the
ASO AC to take it from here in line with the ICANN ASO MOU.

Regards,

-Vincent