[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Return of Policy Proposal RPD Mailinglist: Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region

Tobias Knecht tk at abusix.org
Wed Jul 7 07:52:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

>> What I do not understand is, that RIRs are not able to punish their
>> members for being bad, but we all are able to punish the ones that want
>> to be good by doing nothing for them.
>
> Some of the participants are also members of AfrINIC.  Do you believe
> that the proposal will gain consensus if it is about punishing them?  A
> proposal requires the support of the community for it to become policy
> irrespective of how good the proposal is.

I said RIRs are not able to punish, I did not say we or the community
are not able to punish. This proposal shall not be a punishment.
Absolutely not, even though some people here fell like it is.

What happens if a RIR member is not paying his bills? He probably looses
his allocations. Right?

What happens if a RIR member is publishing wrong information? Nothing?

I absolutely understand the bottom-up thinking, but I think in some
cases it would be good if RIRs would be able to force things. And even
by publishing a list of unresponsive members to give the ability of
punishment back to the community.

So lease do not get me wrong, not the proposal it self shall punish anybody.

Thanks,

Tobias