[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Return of Policy Proposal RPD Mailinglist: Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Jul 6 19:31:38 UTC 2010

On 6 Jul 2010, at 10:45, Owen DeLong wrote:

[...]

> By making this mandatory, you will increase the cruft-level in the database
> rather than reduce it. By requiring an entire additional object which contains
> a significant amount of duplicated data from other objects, you will create
> a data-integrity and maintenance problem. Even people that want to
> comply and do the "right thing" will likely lose track of the association of
> the various objects and the need to constantly update multiple objects.

I think Owen has the heart of the matter here.

I would only add that by making irt objects mandatory you make it harder to identify the networks who want to receive reports about abuse and security incidents. If you have an opt-in system there is a very good chance that its users will want the reports they have asked for. If you force people to take part then the unwilling participants will look the same as the responsible operators but act differently and that will make it harder to identify networks that are actually time-sinks and won't pay attention to well-formed reports.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda