[AfriNIC-rpd] 15-Day Last Call Period: IPv4 Softlanding Policy Proposal

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Fri Jun 25 21:49:09 UTC 2010

This policy apparently reached consensus during the face-to-face
meeting. I was unfortunately unable to attend and I still have a concern:

On 25/06/2010 20:16, Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> a) The minimum allocation or assignment size for IPv4 will be a /24
> block (256 addresses). The maximum alocation or assignment size will be
> a /23 block (512 addresses). No LIR or End User will receive more than 4
> allocations or assignments during the Exhaustion Phase.

I have previously provided a set of calculations and proposed a maximum
allocation limit that may far more appropriate.

I would be interested to see the resource planning calculation that
allowed us to arrive at a limit of /23.

Limiting allocations to such a tiny value makes applying for IPv4 space
virtually pointless. We might as well reserve the whole /8 and not just
the last /12. It will have the same effect...

But then perhaps thats the point?

--
Graham Beneke