[AfriNIC-rpd] abuse contact information in whois database (AFPUB-2010-GEN-002)

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Jun 16 18:41:29 UTC 2010

On 16 Jun 2010, at 11:36, Tobias Knecht wrote:

>> This is indeed my experience. I see the abuse reports people send
>> about address space assigned for special purposes in RFCs, such as
>> private address space. I find that a large proportion of reports are
>> copied to more than six addresses. I don't see any value in reports
>> shotgunned to so many people.
>
> As mentioned in the other emails, if RIRs would offer an easy to use
> access to the right information such things would not happen.
>
> This is self made problems and if we do not change things, ...

While you are right that it is to some extent a self-made problem, I am not convinced that requiring additional addresses to be published will stop people from copying the other addresses they already send e-mail to. This is down to my perception of human nature and not to the technical merit of the proposal for an IRT object or an abuse-c address or any other way of providing the information.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda