[pdp-mg] Re: community - Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] About AFPUB-2010-GEN-001

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:48:13 UTC 2010

On Fri 4/9/2010 12:23 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
> At 04:45 09-04-10, Vincent Ngundi wrote:
>> I believe that there're instances where we'll need to _specifically_
>> refer to people from the AfriNIC service region and other cases where
>> we'll need to refer to the global Internet community.
>
> I'll try to clarify that as far as possible.
>
> The policies, in general, are for the AfriNIC service region.  There
> may be AfriNIC members registered in the AfrINIC service region with
> people located outside the region.  There is one instance which may or
> may not be referring to people from the AfriNIC service region.  It is
> the discussion about Chairs (see Section 4).  I'll use "by the AfriNIC
> community" in that section and leave the details to the terms of
> reference.  If you want the people reference there, I'll make the change.
>
> The process can be summarized as follows:
>
>  1. Anyone (global Internet community if you prefer) submits a proposal
>
>  2. Anyone can discuss about the proposal on the mailing list
>
>  3. Proposal edited to include changes unless there are substantive
> objections
>
>  4. Anyone can discuss about the proposal at the meeting
>
>  5. Rough consensus on the version of the proposal to move forward
>
>  6. Consensus on the final version of the proposal
>
>  7. Proposal submitted for ratification by the Board

As a member of the global Internet community, I think this is a good
process (and a good summary).  From my involvement so far with AfriNIC,
I have seen a number of cases where the issues being discussed are
primarily of interest to those using the Internet (or providing Internet
services) in the AfriNIC service region, and it seems that those people
are most active in those cases.  But IMO it is also good for those of us
outside the AfriNIC region to provide insight on what has worked well in
other regions, and be available as a resource to help out wherever
needed.  I think the process above helps that dynamic to continue in a
constructive manner.

-Scott