[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations for Non-Profit Networks

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Fri Nov 27 07:35:42 UTC 2009

Kobus Roux wrote:
> I actually disagree with the volunteer requirement. The idea of
> non-profits is that there are no shareholders who can benefit from any
> potential surplus. Many of the more successful non-profits have paid
> staff. If there is a volunteer requirement such as the one in the
> forwarded message there is a risk that the network will not find enough
> talent to be part of the network.

The volunteer requirement was something that was copied from the policy
in the ARIN (North America) region. I agree that it does not fit with
the structures of many non-profits in our region and I would be in
favour of removing that requirement.

Many people that I have discussed this with seem to be in favour of a
structure where the non-profit is required to be registered with a local
non-profit authority. Details of the registration will have to be
submitted with the application and will be reviewed by the board on a
case by case basis.

I think this is a very viable option.

> Kobus
>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Graham Beneke <graham-ml at apolix.co.za> wrote:
>> I would like to propose the following criteria for qualification as a non-profit network relating to the above policy proposal.
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> A non-profit network is a network organized and operated by a volunteer group. This group must be operating as or under the fiscal support of a non-profit organization for the purpose of providing free or low cost services to a local community. The organization must be able to certify to AfriNIC that it's network staff are 100% volunteer. AfriNIC may at its own discretion request additional documentation from applicants detailing their non-profit status under local legal frameworks.
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> Feedback would be appreciated so that we can have a constructive discussions during tomorrows policy session in Dakar.
>>
>> At 01:08 03-09-2009, Graham Beneke wrote:
>>> A community network is any network organized and operated by a
>>> volunteer group operating as or under the fiscal support of a
>>> non-profit organization or university for the purpose of providing
>>> free or low-cost connectivity to the residents of their local
>>> service area. To be treated as a community network under ARIN
>>> policy, the applicant must certify to ARIN that the community
>>> network staff is 100% volunteers.

Graham Beneke
E-Mail/MSN/Jabber: graham at apolix.co.za   Skype: grbeneke
VoIP: +27-87-550-1010                    Cell: +27-82-432-1873