[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Mar 27 07:35:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 09:46 +0300, Badru Ntege wrote:
> Members
>
> On a secondary note I'm curious on how many operational IPv6 networks we
> have on the continent.  When you look around the continent there are a
> number of government and Private backed broadband projects which will spur
> demand for existing V4 allocations.  However if as planned the
> infrastructure growth stimulates the expected economic activity we will see
> demand for Ip resources escalate in the short time we might be able to have
> the resources in the region but the question is how long and thus for future
> sustainability are we ready for V6 transition ?
>
> On this I would like to pose a few questions again

Perhaps first look at..
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/all/?continent=africa

> 1) Are you currently running IPv6 in either test or production mode

Production

> 2) Are you aware of any Network operators on the continent with either
> published or internal V6 plans

See the link above

> 3) Are you aware of any government supported initiatives around the V6
> adoption

nope

> 4) If you are not doing anything now is the reason due to lack of awareness
> or is it a deliberate action to sit and wait
>
> 5) Any suggestions on what we should be doing as a community ??
>
> If anyone can add to or modify the questions above please do so

I'm not sure that AfriNIC's reply to why /48's are not properly
propagated is quite enough - See:
http://www.afrinic.net/news/PI_Reachability_report.htm

The Report is OK in itself - but what about trying to 'fix' the problem.
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE