رد: [AfriNIC-rpd] Last call for comments for Global Policy for theAllocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Hytham EL Nakhal hytham at mcit.gov.eg
Sun Oct 7 20:40:31 UTC 2007

Hi McTim,

Thanks for your support.

>So this proposal will entirely replace this policy?
yes, only when we reach the threshold value according to the following description of the proposal (as Dr.Didier said in his presentation)

Phase 1:

•       IANA reserves N (/8) units to each RIR and set them out of the free pool.

•       IANA Keeps applying the current allocation policy;

•       Until the request for IPv4 from any RIR to IANA will compromise the remaining free pool of IANA according to the following formula:

X = IPv4 /8 units available before the last request.

A = /8 units needed to fulfill the last request from an RIR.

R = Number of RIRs recognized by ICANN.

if     R * N < = (X - A) -----------> Threshold value

•       At this point phase 2 of the policy will be initiated…

>I would have said "certain number" not "minimum number", as I can't parse what "minimum" means here.
we can't say certain number; I'll give you an example for how this policy works assuming that N=5 as stated in the basic proposal:

 Assume the remaining free pool for IANA = 26 (/8),

And an RIR requests for 2 (/8) IPv4 ;
Then IANA will allocate N = 5 for each RIR and in addition allocate M=1 to the last requesting RIR
So the total (/8) allocated for that RIR = 5 + 1

from this example we can see that the minimum amount of available space couldn't be certain number because may be the remaining free pool could be for example 28 (/8) not 26 and an RIR apply for 4 (/8) so this policy if applied by IANA will initiate phase2 and allocate N for each RIR then allocate M for the requesting RIR.

I hope that could answer you ...

> Further to Hisham's follow up mail I think N should = 2, and not N=1.

Me too choose N=2.

Thanks,

Haitham

________________________________

من: rpd-bounces at afrinic.net بالنيابة عن McTim
تاريخ الإرسال: الثلاثاء 10/2/2007 4:12 م
إلى: rpd at afrinic.net
الموضوع: [AfriNIC-rpd] Last call for comments for Global Policy for theAllocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Gentlefolk,

I have inserted the text of the policy below for comments inline:

> Name: Hytham Zakaria EL Nakhal
> Date: 07 July 2007
> Authors: Roque Gagliano (ANTEL), Francisco Obispo (CENIT), Hytham EL
> Nakhal (MCIT), Didier Allain Kla (ISOC Cote d'Ivoire)

Thank you for your hard work all.

http://www.aso.icann.org/docs/aso-001-2.pdf

> Incentive: In order to assure the equal distribution of the IPv4
> address space across RIR regions, this policy proposal describes a
> process for the allocation of the remaining IPv4 space from
> IANA to the existing RIRs
>
> Policy Proposal Name: Global Policy for the Allocation of the
> Remaining IPv4 Address Space.
>
> Proposal:
> --------------
>
> Policy Statement:
>
> This policy describes the process for the allocation of the remaining
> IPv4 space from IANA to RIRs. When a minimum

I would have said "certain number" not "minimum number", as I can't
parse what "minimum" means here.

>amount of available space is reached, an identical number of IPv4 allocation units (/8s)
> will be allocated from IANA to each RIR, replacing the current IPv4
> allocation policy.
>
> In order to fulfill the requirements of this policy, at the time of its
> adoption, an identical number of IPv4 allocation units (N) will be
> reserved by IANA for each RIR. The number N is
> defined as 5. The reserved units will no longer be part of the available
> space at IANA pool.

Further to Hisham's follow up mail I think N should = 2, and not N=1.

> The process for the allocation of the remaining IPv4 space is divided
> in two consecutives phases:
>
> 1. Existing Policy Phase:
>
> During this phase IANA will continue allocating IPv4 addresses to the
> RIRs using the existing allocation policy. This phase will continue
> until a request for IPv4 address space from any RIR to IANA can not be
> fulfilled with the remaining IPv4 space available in the IANA pool.

I don't understand this.  If LACNIC for instance requests a /8, and
IANA doesn't have it left to give, then it's way too late for n=1 or
2, no?  I think I've missed something
;-P

In any case, I think it will be advantageous for the AfriNIC community
to get N /8s, as it will certainly last us longer than the more
established RIRs.

Globally however I lean slightly more to the soft landing approach.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim