[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: Last call for comments for Policy Development Process

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Thu Oct 4 06:07:27 UTC 2007

Hi McTim,

On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:36 PM, McTim wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> On 10/2/07, Hisham R Rojoa <hisham at afrinic.net> wrote:
>> Dear Colleagues and Members
>>
>> Apologies but I forgot to mention that the policy reached
>> consensus with the
>> following modifications:
>
> If the proposal is modified, then shouldn't we be back at step 3 (or
> even step 1) on:
>
> http://www.afrinic.net/pdp.htm
>
> After all, the amendments/modifications have no chance to be discussed
> by the list until AFTER it has reached f2f consensus if we go on to
> step 5 (15 day Last Call), as we seem to be doing now.  I think that
> if suggested changes to a proposal are agreed at the f2f meeting, the
> rest of the list should get a chance to have their say on the proposal
> as if it was a new proposal.

(a) IMHO, this would fall under "amendments to new PDP". Seems you
might have to propose something to that effect, a policy proposal
(amendment?) for that matter.

(b) The last-call is meant to incorporate recommendation/comments
made during the f2f meeting.

(c) The current PDP says:

<snip>

"4. If there is consensus at the open policy meeting, go to step 5
(read last-call) as itemized below. If there is not consensus, step 3
will be repeated until consensus is reached or the policy proposal is
abandoned (or withdrawn)"

</snip>

There was consensus during the f2f meeting and in line with the
current PDP, we should go step 5, which is the last-call.

Regards,

-Vincent