[AfriNIC-rpd] RE: Last call for comments for Policy Development Process

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:36:13 UTC 2007

Hi All,

On 10/2/07, Hisham R Rojoa <hisham at afrinic.net> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues and Members
>
> Apologies but I forgot to mention that the policy reached consensus with the
> following modifications:

If the proposal is modified, then shouldn't we be back at step 3 (or
even step 1) on:

http://www.afrinic.net/pdp.htm

After all, the amendments/modifications have no chance to be discussed
by the list until AFTER it has reached f2f consensus if we go on to
step 5 (15 day Last Call), as we seem to be doing now.  I think that
if suggested changes to a proposal are agreed at the f2f meeting, the
rest of the list should get a chance to have their say on the proposal
as if it was a new proposal.

> 1. The number of members of the moderator group from the community would be
> 3 instead of 2
> 2. The 30 day deadline for the board to ratify the proposal has been removed

I would like to see a thorough description of what powers the Board
has at this point, listed in the PDP.  Do they have the power to
disapprove a proposal after Last Call if they disagree with it, or can
they only NOT ratify a proposal because the PDP was not followed?

As far as removing the 30 day deadline, was this done for
administrative reasons (it's hard to get all Board memebrs together at
same time within 30 + 15 days of a f2f meeting perhaps).  Removing the
deadline might make it possible for the Board NOT to ratify a proposal
for months or even years, no?

Can someone who was in Durban explain it to me?

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim