[AfriNIC-rpd] end-site assignment policy

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Mon Sep 10 13:33:48 UTC 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 3:55 PM, McTim wrote:

> On 9/10/07, Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za> wrote:
>> On 10/09/2007 11:54 McTim wrote:
>>>
>>> Where are you seeing this text?
>>
>> http://www.afrinic.org/docs/policies/afpol-v6200407-000.htm
>>
>> 5.1.1 (c) and (d) which is held for the aforementioned organizations
>> by 5.7.
>

> You are confused.  There is no 3 day text there. There is 12 month
> text there.

I think he meant the number of days before the 12 month period expires.

> If folk don't announce the IP space in 12 months, do we want to set
> back IPv6 deployment efforts by taking it away from them? I think not.

I agree with McTim.

>> The main thing here is that AfriNIC must be renewing these resources,
>> and the same clause must apply to renewal (as per my reading of 5.7).
>
> 5.7 ONLY applies to folk who had a /35, and need supersizing.
>

>> My point is that renewing a /32 allocation to someone that appears to
>> show no interest in making use of it is quite a waste,
>
> Do you really care about "wasting" a drop in the bucket?  A /32 is
> miniscule in relation to the entire size of the v6 pool.

(a) I think what's most important is finding ways of encouraging
people to deploy v6 and that should be not only the onus of AfriNIC
(and other RIR's) but also every one of us.

(b) And yes, there's an issue of wasting here. If any resource is NOT
being used without a valid reason, then that IMHO amounts to wasting.

(c) Well, one may look at a /32 as a drop in the bucket, but I guess
that was the same scenario when IPv4 came. Look at the situation we
are in now! Is the current situation (read onset of IPv6 deployment)
_relatively the same as it were when we first started using IPv4?

(d) We need to develop policies that will help utilise Internet
resources, that's the whole idea (correct me if I'm
wrong)....policies that will be emulated by other RIR's.

(e) Colins is right, the IPv6 PA Allocation policy doesn't address
the issue of "not-complying-with-the-policy". So in such a scenario,
AfriNIC has no mandate to reclaim the used space and as you put it,
"the Allocation(s) are auto-magically renewed". This would be a good
time for the community to revise this policy. Sad that any changes
may only be effected sometime in May next year :-(.

The "Policy for IPv6 PI Assignment for End-Sites" reads in part:

"...The 'end-site' must show a plan to use and announce the IPv6
provider independent address space within twelve (12) months. After
that period, if not announced, the assigned IPv6 PI address space
should be reclaimed and returned to the free pool by AfriNIC...."

Regards,

-Vincent