[AfriNIC-rpd] end-site assignment policy

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Mon Sep 10 14:10:35 UTC 2007

On 10/09/2007 15:33 Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> (d) We need to develop policies that will help utilise Internet
> resources, that's the whole idea (correct me if I'm wrong)....policies
> that will be emulated by other RIR's.

I think it is more important in Africa where we have many more
incumbents who are not fundamentally interested in providing any more
service than they have to. In this environment the only choice is
sadly to make them have to, or to break the incumbents with
deregulation. The latter takes much more time than is ultimately
available. Other RIR's needn't emulate these policies but I think we
should definitely consider our own unique requirements and issues in
preference to simply following the solutions that fit other RIRs.

> (e) Colins is right, the IPv6 PA Allocation policy doesn't address the
> issue of "not-complying-with-the-policy". So in such a scenario, AfriNIC
> has no mandate to reclaim the used space and as you put it,
> "the Allocation(s) are auto-magically renewed". This would be a good
> time for the community to revise this policy. Sad that any changes may
> only be effected sometime in May next year :-(.

I think either the clause needs to be abandoned or it needs to be
enforced in some way (possibly forfeiting the discount on an IPv6
LIR). I think this will be an interesting issue to discuss at AfriNIC
7 this month over and above what come out here.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>