[AfriNIC-rpd] What is our take on the central pool IPv4 exhaustion?

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Sun Aug 12 22:41:17 UTC 2007

On 12/08/2007 23:24 Bill Woodcock wrote:
> I think perhaps this rests on the assumption that the rest of the world
> will be converting to IPv6 over the next couple of years.  While I'd very
> much love for that to happen, the process has been going on for twelve
> years already, and is likely to take another fifteen to complete.

The assertion that IPv6 transition will take another fifteen years is
completely ludicrous hyperbole and based on no fact. Your attitude
merely prolongs the "chicken and egg" problem. The facts are clear;
IPv4 is running out, IPv6 is the sustainable solution, _you_ want it
as soon as possible. Do your self a favor and join an ARIN list and
follow the discussions there. THEY are gearing for definite switch
dates, APNIC already have done this - where are we? More importantly
where are _you_ and where is your business? If you don't keep up your
business certainly won't be with those who did keep up.

As for dual stacked networks, these are a transition mechanism in
order for migrations to take place in a seamless and coordinated way.
Implementing or working on IPv6 systems without a dual stack would be
impossibly unfeasible. They are not an end in their own or a reason
anyone should defer their implementation of IPv6.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>     ______
Linux & Internet Services           /\_\_\_\