[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [IOZ] Fwd: AfriNIC position on the future of IP number resources

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Mon Aug 6 08:38:39 UTC 2007

On 06/08/2007 10:07 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> So who can say anymore there is an issue ?

Me.

In ZA there is no second or third tier IPv6 provisioned at reasonable
cost. I understand Verizon used to provide it to their large customers
- at a totally separate cost rather than dual-stacked which should be
provisioned at no cost.

Internet Solutions have an IPv6 prefix which they used to announce -
they say they do not provide IPv6 when you ask for it.

MTN-NS have a /32, they do not announce or provide transit.

TENET have transit and announce it - but they aren't a public ISP so
that is of no use to anyone except a TEI/U.

Last but not least I've been following Posix, but it seems like
getting transit there would be costly for our purposes.

All in all. If you're an end user or end site - no one gives you IPv6.
Sure there are tunneling options, but they aren't feasible, and few
places will actually BGP4+ peer with you over anything other than
native, which is totally understandable IMHO because having convoluted
tunnels all over the place does not meet the goal of transition. We
don't want a situation where everyone becomes IPv6 compliant - but
half the earth still relies on IPv4 for their tunnels.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>     ______
Linux & Internet Services           /\_\_\_\