[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [IOZ] Fwd: AfriNIC position on the future of IP number resources

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Aug 6 08:07:25 UTC 2007

Hi Adiel, all,

Regarding the lack of transit providers, I need to disagree and this is
about the same in most of the regions (true that less competition in the
region and high prices are more an issue here).

I think this is a misconception/problem that we should sort out from the
region. Everyone of the AfriNIC members should start making pressure to
their existing transits: "If you don't provide me native connectivity in one
year, I will need to look for alternative upstreams when I need to renew my
contract. NOW provide me a tunnel".

Providing a tunnel (6in4, typically), is NOT an issue for ANY transit and is
not a big issue at the time being, because the overhead in the same network
doesn't cause any problem. There is NO excuse for existing transits to
provide a tunnel to anyone, and if they do not support yet IPv6 in their
core, it is always possible to arrange that tunnel directly into the next
hop network that support IPv6. For example, if Teleglobe is the carrier of
transit "x" (which is unable to support IPv6 today), and "x" is providing
service to AfriNIC member "y", then is always possible to arrange a tunnel
from "y" to "Teleglobe" and Teleglobe are happy to support that, as already
happened in the region.

Moreover, some of them already support native, as it is the case for
Teleglobe, so again, there is no excuse for the rest to start moving or as
said, at least provide a tunnel at the time being.

As usually, I will be happy to help on this to anyone having issues with
their transits, and in the worst case, we can always provide free transit to
OCCAID thru the GIPS program, sponsoring that transit for a maximum of 2
years (the only pre-requisite is that is true that existing transits doesn't
provide the service). For example, if you have only one transit that can
arrange IPv6 (even if with a tunnel now), in order to increase your
visibility and make sure you become multihomed, we can arrange a second
tunnel to OCCAID.

So who can say anymore there is an issue ? Transit is available and at no
cost. At least, the issue doesn't stop you to move ahead, right ?

Regards,
Jordi