[IOZ] [AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Fwd: AfriNIC position on the future of IP number resources

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Wed Aug 8 07:56:20 UTC 2007

Hi Adiel,

On 06 Aug 2007, at 9:19 AM, Adiel A. Akplogan wrote:
> The pricing issue is something that the Board is looking into.

Excellent, many thanks for confirming this.

> But is not a simple issue, when one makes comparison with other RIRs,
> it will be important to also take in consideration other factors. How
> long it took them to drop their fees to the level they are today?

As I understand, the fees of the RIRs are all *much* higher today
than they were in the past (in general).

I submit a request for the board to consider my proposal for special
pricing of IPv6 PI allocations for community networks. For example
the WUGs (http://www.wug.za.net/) operate entirely on voluntary
contributions, and they are very useful breeding grounds for
networking skills. It would be wonderful if AfriNIC could do a
special offer for this small group of expert users so as to enable
them to properly number their networks without NATted, NATted, NATs
(in some cases only NATted NATs).  These networks are not members of
AfriNIC and without a special offer they will most probably not be
able to become members, so this will not erode any income. I propose
that AfriNIC do this as a sponsored service for all African community
networks and consider it as a marketing and skills development cost,
it will certainly cost no more than a single training workshop in one
country. Alternatively, I am certain that AfriNIC can leverage its
resources to obtain sponsorships for these networks.

Sincerely,

Alan

Alan Levin
Tel: +27 21 409-7997