[policy-wg] AfriNIC policy: IPv6 for critical infrastructure

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Oct 9 15:32:34 UTC 2006

Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> * I agree with Jordi, exceptions should be made to organisations that run
> critical services like TLD root servers (ccTLD managers for instance). These
> organisations require a PI address space as this will enable them to have
> more control over the address space they use.
>
> * Policy ratification should be done online. A system of determining whether a
> majority of the community is in agreement should be established. Face-to-face
> ratification has it's own drawbacks. For instance, if current policy bars an
> organisation from getting Internet resources to perform certain crucial tests
> and/or tasks or to provide critical Internet services, then that organisation
> deserves to have a mechanism at their disposal through which they can propose
> policies that can be ratfied within a reasonable period (reasonable in that
> the period can even be included in a Project Plan if need be).
>
> * The idea is NOT to ease the process of assigning Internet resources, but to
> reduce the effort in implementing Internet services and technologies. Rigid
> policy formulation structures may contribute to the slow
> implementation/deployment of new Internet technologies.
>
> * I also propose that these prefixes be assigned on a temporary basis (with a
> defined testing period) but with the option of retaining them based on some
> defined RIR criteria.

Do we have consensus about providing PI to critical infrastructure yet?
I'll be at the meeting in Mauritius. That meeting seems to have great
focus on IPV6.
(Which is Great!!!)

I want to potentially apply for some private IPV6 numbering for UniForum
S.A. - the "co.za" registry system. The COZA system peers with multiple
ISP's at JINX and uses multiple people for Transit - so can not afford
to be locked to a single provider and would prefer to have its own
allocation. Its the largest domain registry in the AfriNIC region
(almost 270000 domains). Part of the validation for a new domain is that
each nameserver is queried to check that all nameservers are
authoritative - so until there is native IPV6 - we can't register any
domain that contains a nameserver that maps to an IPV6 address.

UniForum SA currently has 206.223.136/24 - which was allocated out of a
pool for critical resources. We now directly pay AfriNIC yearly for this
address space.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE