[policy-wg] Guidelines for TemporaryAssignments/Allocations'sproposal

Gregory Massel gregm at datapro.co.za
Thu Apr 28 09:23:18 UTC 2005

> I agree with you but this temporary allocation space will be done
> from a special address pool ... and event when returned, they are
> put in quarantine for some time before being reallocated (12 months?)!

A number of blacklists do not automatically delist addresses after a long
period. They only do so on complaints. This policy is also highly open to
abuse by spammers. A less prescriptive application procedure (easier to
fudge the application) for recyclable addresses.

> But in the case they are not (like AFNOG, RALL etc...) I think this
> is addressed somewhere in the proposal where it is stated that AfriNIC
> may charge for that..(that is apply for commercial training for
> instance)

Now I really disagree! With due respect, why should AFNOG, RALL,etc have
more right to obtain IP's for a conference then a commercial exhibition?
(eg. Auto Africa, WineX, etc.)

If this proposal is going to be implemented, I see no reason why it should
exclude commercial conferences. It should apply to all.

Similarly, if it is going to be implemented, I'd strongly suggest allowing
temporary allocations for experimental use as well.

> It can also happened that the upstream do not have enough space
> available to allocate to the event ... and could not justify
> requesting that space for temporary allocation from AfriNIC.

Realistically how much space does an event need? Seldom more than /24! I
just think we need to consider how an ISP small enough that they don't have
a /24 spare can have sufficient spare bandwidth to support 254 concurrent
users. Also, if it is in the nature of the ISP to provide services that
include hosting conferences, then surely this should be stated in their
application and as part of their requirements. Remember, no assignment by an
LIR is permanent. They assign for the duration of contract with their
customer. If they're in the business of short-term contracts, then they need
to apply for sufficient address space. They should be able to give any one
of their existing conferences/short-term customers as an example.

I really think that the responsibility for short-term assignments should
rest with the LIR. It is their customer, they can take responsibility for
addresses that are abused. It is wrong of them to say they do not have
enough address space when all they need to do is apply for more from
AfriNIC, citing their existing re-assignment information and their immediate
requirements for new customers (whether short- or long-term).

> ... or just that there is no LIR in a country where Workshop
> will be held ... etc!

Not acceptable. If the ISP is not an LIR, they are obtaining address space
from an upstream who is an LIR. Either way, there exists a perfectly valid
mechanism for applying for address space based on accurate re-assignment
information and adequate justification. They can apply to their upstream,
who in turn can apply to AfriNIC.

And the country aspect to it is also irrelevent because ultimately the
entire globe is served by various RIRs.

> I think IP address is allocated based on immediate need and
> planed growth expectation, normally not more that 3 years!
> So ISP will always get what they need from AfriNIC...but you
> can not justify allocation form AfriNIC only based on potential
> temporary allocation!

I agree if you include the word 'potential'. But I'd be horrified if AfriNIC
made temporary allocations baded on 'potential' customers as well.

One can justify an allocation from AfriNIC based on both your immediate and
future needs. If your immediate and future need is to provide addresses to
conferences and you can show that (either by demonstrating an example of a
previous conference you've hosted or a future one you are hosting), AfriNIC
should provide a permanent allocation that takes into consideration your
entire business, including short-term customers.

There is such an unfortunate belief accross Africa that ISPs cannot obtain
address space that they need for their valid requirements. This is partly
because of monopolistic telcos or LIRs withholding additional space and the
fact that they did not meet the minimum criteria in the past. I think we
need to address those problems. Maybe an appropriate action will be for
AfriNIC to withhold additional address space (or even reclaim existing
space) from any LIR that withholds from its customers despite adequate
justification on the basis that the LIR is mismanaging their addresses!

--Greg