[policy-wg] Guidelines for TemporaryAssignments/Allocations'sproposal

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Apr 28 12:54:40 UTC 2005

Hi Gents (same old folk)

> > But in the case they are not (like AFNOG, RALL etc...) I think this
> > is addressed somewhere in the proposal where it is stated that AfriNIC
> > may charge for that..(that is apply for commercial training for
> > instance)
>
> Now I really disagree! With due respect, why should AFNOG, RALL,etc have
> more right to obtain IP's for a conference then a commercial exhibition?
> (eg. Auto Africa, WineX, etc.)
>
> If this proposal is going to be implemented, I see no reason why it should
> exclude commercial conferences. It should apply to all.

As stated in the Open Forum time in Maputo, I would have loved to have
been able to get temporary address space for the ICANN convention in
Nov/Dec 2004. I really needed a /22 (or better) and ASN. We were
multi-homed to SAIX and UUNET (10-ish Mb each). Both gave me /23's -
which looked OK initially - but we ran out of DHCP addresses a couple of
times... (we had both all the delegates, and all the Hotels other
residence on the net)....

I see no reason why an AfNOG/AfriNIC type meeting could easily also have
multiple LIR's providing transit, whist a separate service carries
connectivity to a local IAX.... the sort of setup that AfNOG attendees
need to be able to be trained in themselves...
Meanwhile, the training folk need a couple of real ASN's, and other
net-route-able address space.

I would like to think that most IT type shows (Afnog/ICANN - etc) would
probably be (technically) run by people that most people on this list
would know - so they should be allocated from a pool of addresses
labelled "un-lightly to be blacklisted".

Talking to the APNIC people, they re-allocate the same addresses year
after year to the same events and so far have not had any trouble.
This makes preparation of equipment easier (last years configs still
lying around)..

For other (potentially "once-off" events) - use different pools?

> Similarly, if it is going to be implemented, I'd strongly suggest allowing
> temporary allocations for experimental use as well.

Agreed - and often these would be much longer term allocations - which
should be no problem.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE