[policy-wg] Guidelines for Temporary Assignments/Allocations'sproposal

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at akplogan.com
Tue Apr 26 00:18:09 UTC 2005

At 20:49 25/04/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>>In some circumstances, organisations may require IP resources for a certain
>>period of time, usually one month and less. This could be for exhibitions,
>>conferences, conventions, etc.
>
>This really concerns me. Assignments/Allocations generally take quite some
>time to evaluate. They are also based on a co-ordinated long-term usage
>history and future usage plan.
>
>Once addresses are used, they can often be subject to blacklisting
>(particularly if hosts are vulnerable to hacking, spam, etc). This means
>that it is often extremely unsatisfactory for an organisation to receive
>addresses already used by another. This is exaccerbated further by the
>fact that short-term assignments don't allow extended periods to do the
>necessary audits and clean-ups.

I agree with you but this temporary allocation space will be done
from a special address pool ... and event when returned, they are
put in quarantine for some time before being reallocated (12 months?)!

>>3.2 Commercial Use Prohibited
>>
>>If there is any evidence that the temporary resource is being used for
>>commercial purposes, or is being used for any activities not documented
>>in the
>>original description provided above, AfriNIC reserves the right to
>>immediately
>>withdraw the resource and reassign it to the free pool.
>
>This conflicts with the statement of intent. A conference, exhibition, etc
>is generally a commercial activity. This needs to be clarified.

But in the case they are not (like AFNOG, RALL etc...) I think this
is addressed somewhere in the proposal where it is stated that AfriNIC
may charge for that..(that is apply for commercial training for
instance)

>>Incentive:
>>In Africa Internet is still a growing technology and time by time
>>there are high level trainings and event related to Internet
>>awareness. In most of the case the local hosting organisation
>>do not have enough IP address to provide to the workshop
>>Infrastructure, resulting to intensives NAT usage. To avoid this,
>>AfriNIC should be able to provide temporary address space under
>>some specific conditions. This policy will allow AfriNIC to do that.
>
>There is a big problem with this motivation. It works on the basis that
>the upstream is mismanaging their existing IP space and therefore cannot
>supply it.

It can also happened that the upstream do not have enough space
available to allocate to the event ... and could not justify
requesting that space for temporary allocation from AfriNIC.

... or just that there is no LIR in a country where Workshop
will be held ... etc!

>I would rather see the inherent problem addressed. ie. Why does the
>upstream not have sufficient addresses? Is there a problem with AfriNIC
>that is making it impossible for them to obtain sufficient address space?
>Are they in need of training on how to manage their IP's and apply for
>more? If so is AfriNIC doing enough in that regard.

I think IP address is allocated based on immediate need and
planed growth expectation, normally not more that 3 years!
So ISP will always get what they need from AfriNIC...but you
can not justify allocation form AfriNIC only based on potential
temporary allocation!

- a.