[DBWG] Fwd: [AFRINIC IRR #622756] Fwd: SUCCESS : Your object is successfully created in AFRINIC database

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Aug 28 11:35:40 UTC 2018

Hello members of DBWG. I am an AFRINIC member who has 8 consecutive
/24's of address space. Their number were chosen so that I could
aggregate them together into a single /21, after all, aggregation is
good? I had (at RIPE) historically aggregated them together in two
smaller blocks.

They are now properly aggregated in the RIPE Database as a single route
object:

% Information related to '192.96.24.0/21AS6083'

route:          192.96.24.0/21
origin:         AS6083
descr:          Posix Systems, South Africa, Aggregate all
mnt-by:         POSIX-MNT
created:        2018-08-14T16:18:27Z
last-modified:  2018-08-14T16:18:27Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered

...but I can not do the same thing in the AFRINIC IRR?

They are registered as eight single /24's in the AFRINIC IRR though.

I would thus like some discussion and support for allowing blocks to be
aggregated when possible - as in this case. This will be a "new feature"
(according to Madhvi's e-mail copied below) in the AFRINIC IRR.
Do people thing aggregation is a good idea? (it reduces the amount of
memory needed in Routers that hold effectively "route objects").
It also showing that it is currently impossible to migrate all route
objects from RIPE to AFRINIC - which is bad because Frank Habicht has
reminded me that route[6] objects made up of AFRINIC resources in the
RIPE Database will have less "authority" (RIPE-NONAUTH) from the 4th of
September - just days away.